Monday, March 28, 2011

Ode to Self

I think one of the greatest accomplishments in life is finding yourself: finding who you are, finding your way, finding what you want to be and where you want to be in this life. Too often we are pushed and corralled into decisions, situations, and places where we never intended to be whether it's a well meaning family member insisting that you go to college to become a lawyer for fear that you'll amount to nothing or situations which were thrust upon you in which you never really had a say and you had to roll with the punches. Far too often in life we are encouraged to grow up in a hurry. We felt guilty for playing with dolls at the age of 15. We slowly stop using our imaginations. We more and more are faced with seeing the world as it really is and dealing with problems rather than letting ourselves be content and imagine. Me? I haven't stopped imagining. I haven't grown up really. I still believe in happy endings. I watch kids movies every chance I get. I do goofy things just because without it, life would just be boring. I have a list of all the places I dream of going and seeing which I maintain frequently. Looking at my life right now, I don't know where I will be in 5 years. I don't know what position I will be in. Right now though I'm happy. I know what makes me happy. I do what makes me happy. I reinvent myself often always seeking a better version of me. Eventually when I am tired of my current state I may change... but nothing or no one shall push me to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment